As a Personal Trainer, the number one thing I hear is eating healthy is too costly. This can be true until you understand the value of buying in bulk and breaking down prices. A majority of grocery stores have a healthy/organic section, but these usually come with a hefty price tag. Consumers are unaware of the savings of buying in bulk in such stores as Costco or SAMS Club. Think of the many places you’l shop to get the best deal on that perfect pair of jeans. Now apply half that effort in finding savings on groceries, and you can enjoy buying some new SLIM fit jeans!
Alongside cost, comes convenience. This is understandable with a busy lifestyle, however that “value menu” can add unwanted casts and pounds. Let’s face it, after a long day, a trip through the drive-thru sounds much better than a trip to the grocery store. But, there could be a “healthy” pre-prepared dinner waiting for you in the fridge. In the long haul, this saves you time and money.
Here is some compare and break down pricing:
● Value meal at a fast food chain: average $5.50
● 10lb of chicken breasts at Costco: average $23.99
● Organic 3.5lb chicken breasts at Costco: average $18.99
● 5.5lb bag of vegetables at Costco: average $7.49
At first glance, this looks expensive! But when you break it down per serving size/meal, do you realize the actual value in the healthier option.
● 10lb of Chicken Breast:
○ $2.199/lb (16 ounces) with the average serving size being of chicken, breaks down to about $1.90 per meal.
● Organic 3.5 lb Chicken Breast:
○ $5.426/lb (16 ounces) with the average size being 5 ounces of chicken, breaks down to about $1.90 per meal.
● 5.5 lb of Vegetables:
○ $1.362/lb (16 ounces) with the average size being 5 ounces of vegetables, breaks down to about $0.47 per meal.
Once you cook the meat and vegetables, the weights will vary. This price break down will give you a general idea of the cost difference between cooking vs drive-thru “value meals.” Be a smart consumer and don’t focus on up-front costs, but rather the value of the price break down per meal. Stay tuned for our next blog, where we will go in depth with quick and easy ways to meal prep!
Share this important info with others.